2010年7月15日星期四

Review of the HighGear Summit Watch

I worea T-Touch when I first moved to San Francisco about two months ago to help meget my bearing when walking the city, but that's about as outdoorsy as I get thesedays. I also recently received a similar new stainless steel and titaniumCasio Protrek which I will be reviewing shortly. I still need to put it through itspaces, but at first glance, it appears to be a nice combination of functionality,affordably, and visual appeal (compared to the old Protreks and Pathfinders).I didn't even know that the HighGear Summit watch existed until I discovered thisreview over on WetDawg. If you're in the market for an outdoor sports watch withan altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and compass, this looks like it might be aviable and affordable option. The HighGear Summit sells for about $149,and appears to be available at most stores specializing in outdoor and hiking equipment.The author makes the following observations about his new toy:The Summit is a big sucker. As sure as if you’re walking a five leggeddog, someone is going to remark on it. Seven out of ten people you meet willpoint out the big watch on your wrist. The conversation value is high.The Summit is the largest faced of HighGear’s models, but I like the wayit feels on my wrist (and I have a small wrist). In fact it’s the most comfortablewatch I’ve ever worn.Another feature tied in with the barometer is the weather predictor. In boththe time and barometric modes it shows a little icon of sun, cloud or rain, suggestingwhat you might expect in the half dozen hours ahead.The thermometer was used little, but worked fine when you took it off. Or leftit on and subtracted ten degrees.The chronometer [he means chronograph] is fine and I use it when training. The alarm is handy, of course.I would have liked a count down alarm as well.Check out thefull article for more details. The review caught my eye because I am a big fanof the Tissot T-Touch which offers a great deal of the same functionality (checkout my Tissot T-Touchreview for details), but in a much smaller and more attractive package, and witha scratch-proof sapphire crystal.